Friday, August 27, 2010

Mad Women


Well, Holly it is good to hear from you. I am shaking the cobwebs out of my blogger brain and getting back on track.

Like you, I have been watching the Men of Madison with shall we say, remote interest. Things did kick up a notch this past Sunday when Don got his little Drapers out of storage and acted like he had a pair again. Moping does not become him.

I concur that we did not need to see anymore Dick in California since that is exactly what he acted like with his friend’s niece. I know he is a cad, but that was too much for me. She was young enough to be Sally’s older sister. Giving his secretary some after-hours dictation was pretty low, too. Especially since he would not even acknowledge it once sober. On the other hand, seeing him set up his rival that he had “never heard of” was a classic.

Speaking of growing a pair, when is Roger going to give Lee Garner, Jr. the Jap treatment. If anyone deserves being ripped a new one, it is he. I can’t stand seeing our King of Quip reduced to playing a cut-rate Santa for that sadistic bastard. I can hardly wait until Roger finds out his little secret and gives him a time-period appropriate, politically incorrect public humiliation in return.

Hells Bells, Holly. I have said it before and I will say it again. I went from wanting Don to throw Pete out of a window to rooting for the little weasel. If demonstrating testicular fortitude was the theme of this episode, he certainly rose to the occasion with his father-in-law.

But enough about the guys. I will take your invite to look closer at the dolls.

Joan

First of all, it is nice to see “Red’ back where she belongs: running the office and keeping the girls in line. Her greatest move so far this season…giving Don a secretary he will not be tempted to drunkenly bang on his sofa. There is not enough alcohol in the office for that one. Joan seems to have an even greater sense of authority than before. That is, until she goes home to Dr. Dipshit. I still cannot wrap my head around what she sees in that little goober, no less why she puts up with his crap.

Peggy

I have to admit, Peggy annoys me on most occasions. I know she represents the “women’s movement” as she advances into uncharted territory in the workplace, but she still has an inherent blandness that is bothersome. Yet, she has been cracking me up this season. Seeing her head rise up in the little window to spy on Don was one of the greatest site gags I have seen for a while.

Betty

In the past, I have felt somewhat sympathetic to the former Mrs. Draper. Her unfaithful, secretive husband was enough to send any woman to a fainting couch. I will always love her for her shotgun wielding vindication of her children. But she has been reduced to a “silly” woman as Henry’s mother so aptly described her. Slapping Sally’s face for cutting her hair seemed downright cruel. Perhaps if she played with herself a little more she would not be so uptight. That is, if she could pry Henry away long enough to do anything.

Sally

And last but not least, I have to include young Sally. What a complicated and troubled young lady. She is going to make one gloriously messed up teenaged hippie. She is screaming for attention from her parents, but one day she will be chanting “Hell No, We Won’t Go” down at the NYU protest of the Vietnam War. The only question remains…will she hookup with the neighbor boy before he becomes a serial killer?

No comments:

Post a Comment