Monday, March 1, 2010

HOLD THE RETRO PHONE



Just when I thought I was out…they pull me back in.


What a difference one episode makes. I have been sucked back into caring what happens on Caprica just when I was ready to write it off. The promo did not make me want to see it much. It was going to have to do with Joseph’s dead daughter Tamara. Plus, the listing said something about Joseph and Willie going on a fishing trip and having an emotionally revealing time. That alone was enough to make me not watch. Yet, I did and am thankful.


For one thing, I was reminded this is in fact a sci-fi show. There were some nifty special effects and some genuine surprises. Tamara is thinking she is just “stuck” in V-world and is trying to get out. She enlists the help of some gamers to help her. This leads her to “New Cap City” which has a Blade Runner vibe (in a good way). Tamara has a unique “ability” in V-world, which is she does not “de-res” when she virtually dies. No one knows at this point it is because she is actually dead in the real world. Before it is over, she is getting a Neo/Matrix thing going. Plus, she looks much better in heels than Keanu Reeves.


Plus, I am happy to report that the emotional fishing trip ends with Willie beaning a bully in the head with a rock and then beating the crap out of him. He has learned well from his uncle. Because of this outburst, Joseph reluctantly undergoes a Tauron ritual in which he lets his wife and daughter “go” so he does not lose his son, too.


Meanwhile, Daniel Graystone is fighting to keep his company. An emergency meeting of the Board of Directors seems to have the votes needed to oust him because of his attempt to make holoband technology free. Daniel counters with showing off the Zoe/Cylon as the next big thing. At first you are rooting for Daniel to keep his company. Before the meeting is over, though, you wish for humanity’s sake he had lost it. You can begin to see why an artificial sentient life would not like Daniel for a master.


This episode has bought Caprica some time in my lineup. Let's see if they can keep it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment