Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Own Personal Oscar After-Party

Just a couple of thoughts regarding the Oscars. (Besides the fact I predicted all the winners of the six major categories.)

I love the humor and dry wit of hosts Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. The tone was set nicely right off the bat. I love you Doogie, but you made a better Dr. Horrible and Billy Crystal did a better job with opening musical numbers.

I thought the speeches were thankfully coherent and concise for the most part. The only time they had to theme music someone off the stage, I was glad. Who was that obnoxious woman who interrupted the eloquent man talking about his documentary? I was glad they cut her off.

Did I miss Farrah Fawcett in the dreaded dead people montage? Having James Taylor croak a Beatles tune was a nice attempt to eliminate the tacky "applause meter" of popularity for the recently deceased.

Don't jump around and do gymnastics to music and tell me it's dancing. Dancing involves something called choreography people.

Jeff Bridges and Woody Harrelson are probably already halfway through a stack of hemp even as I write this. Yes, dude, it is a groovy profession.

Even though I am glad to see Kathryn Bigelow win for Best Director and The Hurt Locker was my prediction for Best Picture, I still believe Avatar will be the most influential film made this decade. For better or worse.

Now off to my Oscar After-Party which involves reading Entertainment Weekly for about 5 minutes until I fall asleep. It may only be 9:30 on the red carpet where you are Holly, but it is past my bedtime back on the East Coast.

1 comment: