Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dear Network TV, I'm Just Not That Into You

Okay Chip, now that you called me out on it, I’ll admit it. My name is Holly Tara and I’m a network hater. I know what people think about me - that I’m some kind of high concept cable snob. Let me assure you, nothing could be further from the truth. I DVR “Keeping Up with the Kardashians,” for crying out loud. I can tell the three original “Girls Next Door” apart. With their clothes on.

TV is entertainment. Which is my point with network TV – it’s not that entertaining. It has been a long time since the big networks turned my head. Reality shows and sitcoms, right? Cable does the former better. I mean, why would anyone watch another anemic season of “The Bachelor” when there’s “For the Love of Ray-J”? And the whole sitcom genre is, well, tired. Meh.

Okay, so I did watch the o.g. version of “Law and Order” (but none of its spin-offs) for a fair number of years. But after Jerry Orbach died and Fred Thompson decided to run for president, what was the point really?

I’m so disconnected from network that I don’t even know what your “Fringe” show is about. (Hairdressers? Go go dancers? Interior designers?) I only have a vague notion that “Lost” is about some people who are so lost they don’t even know where they are or who they are, and haven’t been able to figure it out for several years. How does that stay interesting?

So enlighten me, Chip, what network shows do I need to be watching? Make your case.

Peace,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment