Saturday, February 13, 2010

Good Morning Sunshine


Once upon a time I, too, was a watcher of Good Morning America, Holly. I am talking way back when David Hartman was the host. Talk about a down to earth guy. Alas, I have not watched network morning shows for a long time. I am a fan of CNN Headline News. More specifically Morning Express with Robin Meade. Even more specifically, I am in love with Robin Meade. I would love to wake up next to Robin, but having her on my bedroom television while I get dressed will just have to do. My wife is okay with this because she realizes it is not a genuine threat. She even agreed to tour CNN headquarters with me on a trip to Atlanta in 1995.

HLN fits me perfectly. Its format more or less repeats every thirty minutes. I can tune in pretty much anytime and know what to expect. It is literally Headline News at the top and bottom of the hour, followed by weather with Bob Van Dillen, Financial news with Jennifer Westhoven and Sports with Rafer Weigel. This is usually topped off with some lighthearted human-interest story before starting all over.

Robin’s energy is just right. She is not perky so much as she is effervescent. She is easy on the sleep-crusted eye and comes across as intelligent enough to hold up her end of a descent conversation. She is a former beauty queen whose talent is a very sexy singing voice, which she blesses us with every once in a while. Her good-natured banter with the rest of the crew seems natural and never forced. I hate fake joviality at any time, but especially when I am not fully awake.

Robin has continued to show unfailing support for the troops serving overseas. She does a “Salute the Troops” segment every single day and has done numerous special assignments with our military. If I were a soldier and got a visit from Robin, it would remind me of all that is good about America.

Let us be clear…this is my morning show. In recent years, HLN has tried to mess with the formula and been about as successful as New Coke in my opinion. What has this wrought in the evenings? Nancy Grace. She is the anti-Robin. Shrill, obnoxious, self-promoting and nauseating. There are tiny, almost imperceptible dents in my T.V. from where I throw my house shoes at the screen whenever they are promoting that loud-mouthed harpy.

Hey Holly, perhaps we could arrange for both Matt Lauer and Nancy Grace to be confined to a Jersey beach house. We could tell them they were participating in a reality show called “The Douche Bag and the Brash Hag.” By the time they figure out there are no cameras; we will have made morning television safe once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment