Friday, February 5, 2010

He Said, She Said

Chip, I followed your advice and gave Burn Notice a shot. I’d seen the show as background TV a couple of times before you recommended it to me, but I’d never paid it much attention. My general sense of it was it was a good “Guy Show,” and upon further review, I’ve decided my first instinct was right.

Things this show does well, or at least in abundance: bikinis, humor, guns, explosions, fires, beatdowns. Things that come up short: plot, acting. If you’re looking for mindless fun, this is indeed a great show, and not the sort of thing you need to watch chronologically to understand. It compares to Magnum, P.I., the main differences being Sam doesn’t have a helicopter and Michael doesn’t shoot someone in every episode. Or maybe I just have Tom Selleck on the brain after our recent mentions of Magnum?

I don’t quite get the vibe from Michael and Fiona that you do, Chip. And that’s where I think this show comes up short for the ladies. We like character development. Watching a merry band of ex-spies run around helping the little guy is entertaining, especially when they and everyone around them are pretty, but drinking MGD 64s and talking about Hawaiian shirts is never going to be our gig. I also don’t get the sense that the writers take the mystery of who burned Michael and why too seriously once the opening credits roll, which is a shame. I’ll continue to watch this show from time to time, but I’ll keep my expectations low so it won’t disappoint me.

1 comment:

  1. You got me Holly. Despite the fact I wash dishes and do the grocery shopping, I am indeed a guy. I do love flashes of bikinis and explosions every now and then. Sometimes the most complex entertainment I want is how to make a bomb out of a microwave and a handful of forks. Perhaps I am merely using Burn Notice to fill the void left since Magnum walked off into that estate in the clouds.
    I understand why you would not want to get too deeply involved in another show. It must be taxing to keep up with all the plot developments and acting with the "Kardashians" and "Girls Next Door." Hey...do they ever blow anything up? I might have to give those shows a try, too.

    ReplyDelete